No. 12 Quinnipiac Takes on No. 4 Miami In Second Round of 2017 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament
CORAL GABLES, FL – No. 12 Quinnipiac University (28-6, 17-3 MAAC) takes on No. 4 University of Miami (24-8, 10-6 ACC) in the Second Round of the 2017 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament on Monday, March 20, from the Watsco Center. The Second Round matchup airs live on ESPN2 at 9:00 p.m. ET.
NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament Schedule:
First Round: March 17-18
Second Round: March 19-20
Sweet 16: March 24-25
Elite Eight: March 26-27
Final Four: March 31
Championship Final: April 2
The Bobcats are the first team to represent the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament since No. 13 Marist College did so in the 2012 (defeated by No. 5 St. Bonaventure, 66-63).
With its First Round, 68-65, defeat of No. 5 Marquette University, Quinnipiac became the third member in the conference’s history to win a NCAA Tournament game (Marist, five times, last 2012 and La Salle 1989). The NCAA Tournament victory marked the first in program history for the Bobcats. It was also the first time in program history that Quinnipiac defeated a nationally ranked opponent, Marquette was ranked No. 25 overall in the latest USA Today Coaches’ Poll.
As a No. 12 Seed, the Bobcats are the lowest remaining seed heading into the Second Round. Their win over No. 5 Marquette marked the 23rd time in NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball history that a No. 12 seed defeated a No. 5 seed and the first time a 12 seeded MAAC representative earned a win.
Marist is the only member from the MAAC to advance to the Sweet 16 in the conference’s history. The Red Foxes knocked off Middle Tennessee State University in the Second Round of the 2007 NCAA Tournament to move on to the Sweet 16.
MAAC All-Time Wins in NCAA Tournament:
2017 First Round – No. 12 Quinnipiac – 68 | No. 5 Marquette – 65
2012 First Round – No. 13 Marist – 76 | No. 4 Georgia – 60
2011 First Round – No. 10 Marist – 74 | No. 7 Iowa State – 64
2008 First Round – No. 7 Marist – 76 | No. 10 DePaul – 57
2007 First Round – No. 13 Marist – 67 | No. 4 Ohio State – 63
2007 Second Round – No. 13 Marist – 73 | No. 5 Middle Tennessee State – 59
1989 First Round – No. 9 La Salle – 72 | No. 8 Connecticut – 63
The Bobcats played in their third NCAA Tournament game (1-2) in the program’s Division I history, which dates to 1998-99. Quinnipiac has made it to the NCAA Tournament for the third time in the last five years and it is the second time that they are representing the MAAC. This also marked the sixth consecutive national postseason appearance for the Bobcats.
· Quinnipiac and Miami meet for the third time in history, Miami has won both of the previous matchups.
· Quinnipiac improved to (1-9) all-time against nationally ranked opponents, Miami comes into the Second Round matchup ranked No. 16 overall in the nation.
· The Bobcats are (0-9) all-time against ACC opponents.
· Quinnipiac extended its season-high winning streak to 11-straight games.
· Quinnipiac is one of 13 programs across the nation to have won at least three straight conference regular season titles. The Bobcats have recorded a mark of 54-6 (.900) in conference games in that three-year span (since 2014-15).
Quinnipiac 2016-17 All-MAAC Honors:
· MAAC Regular Season Champions
· Adily Martucci: (MAAC Championship MVP, All-MAAC Second Team)
· Jen Fay: (All-Championship Team, All-MAAC Third Team)
· Aryn McClure: (All-Championship Team, All-MAAC Third Team)
· Carly Fabbri: (All-Championship Team)