Ensor Expansion Remarks on Quinnipiac University
Release: December 15, 2012
On behalf of the MAAC Council of Presidents and the Committee on Athletic Administration I am pleased to announce that Quinnipiac University has been offered and has accepted membership in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference starting on July 1, 2013.
The MAAC's expansion discussion have been ongoing for some five year since the league issued a strategic plan that called for a goal of having a 12 school conference model a long-term goal. This was before the current realignment atmosphere that has seen 25 of the NCAA's 31 conferences undergo membership changes. Certainly, when the MAAC experienced a loss of a member school in August, expansion became a higher priority, but the groundwork of what the conference wanted in the expansion process had been put in place. The goals included seeking out:
- Institutions that strive for success in academic and athletics
- Institutions that share admissions standards with MAAC schools
- Institutions that desire to expand their enrollment base beyond traditional local markets
- Institutions that fund athletic programs within the same general expenditure range
- Institutions that place a focus on student-athletes, their welfare and growth as inviduals
- Institutions that feature basketball as a sport of emphasis, but support the MAAC's core sports requirements including soccer, lacrosse and others
- Institutions that place value and have a commitment towards broadcasting their sports on ESPN and support webcasting of sports in general
- Institutions that have upgraded basketball facilities, have invested in hiring and supporting coaching staffs that strive for success on the court and in the classroom and
- Institutions that understand the value of branding and would share a mutual commitment with the other member schools to improving the MAAC brand.
The MAAC membership has sought to maintain a brand that stresses excellence in academics and athletics and Quinnipiac University fully meets that criteria.
I want to thank President John Lahey for his interest in the MAAC, Director of Athletic Jack McDonald for all his hard work throughout the expansion process and I welcome the coaches, student-athletes and staff to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.