Quinnipiac Wins the 2014 Women's Tennis Championship
Release: April 27, 2014
West Windsor, N.J. – The Quinnipiac Bobcats won its first MAAC title by defeating the Fairfield Stags, 4-1, in the 2014 MAAC Women's Tennis Championship at Mercer County Park in West Windsor, N.J.
After falling in third doubles, Quinnipiac earned the doubles point with victories in the first and second positions. Jacqueline Raynor and Michelle Dassa defeated Sharissa Ryan and Victoria Pirrello, 8-4 in second doubles; then Sophia Dzulynsky and Sydney Young earned a thrilling 8-7 (10-8) victory over Monica Yajima and Carolina Koladzyn to give the Bobcats momentum into the singles matches.
The Stags pulled back into the match when Yajima defeated the 2014 MAAC Player of the Year, Dzulynsky at first singles (6-2, 7-5), but Quinnipiac would come back to win the next three sets to clinch the match.
In fourth singles, Young defeated Koladzyn in straight sets (6-1, 6-4), but the turning point for the Bobcats was Ariana Launie’s performance in sixth singles. After falling in the first set to Fairfield’s Victoria Pirrello, 2-6, Launie was down two match points in the second set, but charged back to win the second set in a tie break, 7-6 (7-0) and then went on to win the third set, 6-3.
In second singles, Fairfield’s Ryan won the first set 7-5, but Quinnipiac’s Raynor came back to win the second and third sets 6-0, 6-3 to clinch the match point giving the Bobcats the 2014 title.
Quinnipiac’s Raynor was named the 2014 MAAC Women's Tennis Championship Most Outstanding Performer. She went 4-0 in second singles and doubles this weekend.
Quinnipiac will receive the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship to be held at Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga. The NCAA Selection Show is Tuesday, Apr. 29 at 5:30 p.m.
Quinnipiac University 4, Fairfield 1
Apr 27, 2014 at MAAC Championship (Mercer County Park)
1. Yajima, Monica (FFD) def. Dzulynsky,Sophia (QU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Raynor,Jacqueline (QU) def. Ryan, Sharissa (FFD) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
3. Dassa,Michelle (QU) vs. Radde, Allison (FFD) 4-6, 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
4. Young,Sydney (QU) def. Koladzyn, Carolina (FFD) 6-1, 6-4
5. Oliphant,Kelsi (QU) vs. Nelson, Kaila (FFD) 1-6, 6-2, 6-5, unfinished
6. Launie,Ariana (QU) def. Pirrello, Victoria (FFD) 2-6, 7-6 (7-0), 6-3
1. Dzulynsky,Sophia/Young,Sydney (QU) def. Yajima, Monica/Koladzyn, Carolina (FFD) 8-7 (10-8)
2. Raynor,Jacqueline/Dassa,Michelle (QU) def. Ryan, Sharissa/Pirrello, Victoria (FFD) 8-4
3. Radde, Allison/Nelson, Kaila (FFD) def. Oliphant,Kelsi/Chupa,Mary (QU) 8-4
Quinnipiac University 13-10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,4,6,2)